Monday, November 14, 2005

BIG-LITTLE GOOGLE GULP

Three good friends did the GOOGLE GULP this morning. One bought 200 shares, another 20 and the little gulp was only two shares; hey you buy what you can when you can! The little buyer had earlier purchased 6 shares at $195 so his basis is now $245 in 8 shares. The 200 share buyer has bought the stock 14 times, starting with the first ones on the IPO day.

As more folks learn how neat the "new web" or "web 2.0" is going to be, they will also want to own Google. Old time players are gradually offering "new web" services. So far the new offerings have been relatively lame, but, after these folks get more than their big toe in the water, they may start to have great fun. AOL--Time Warner, has jumped-in with free IPTV offerings of old shows. The shows will have non-skip 15 second commercials but it is at least a start. Viacom is offering reruns for $2.99 a download. These guys are too afraid that they might cannibalize existing distribution. No problem, the market is the market. Not many folks will buy $2.99 reruns but others will latter be offered at better prices.

Google. is seeking publishers who would like to rent books for a week. These would be on-line offerings to be read on screen only. I suppose the natural order here is to go from books to audio books then to TV shows with movies being last. It won't matter much. The dyke is starting to leak; once firms learn how to make money off content over the internet, there will be a flood. Progress must be good on Google. Wallet. It would seem natural to me for Google. Wallet to be released before the public is able to rent books.

I paid $.49 for an investment "short" at Amazon last night. Amazon has stored it for me so that I can read it online from any computer at any time. I paid with a debit card but would have preferred to use PayPal or Google. Wallet.

Note that the idea of renting a book is akin to paying a small fee for a good "short". A good stock analyst or any good web site might start offering to sell special "articles" for small fees. Those who build a great monitored track record as a stock picker might be able to sell stock selection services. The list of ideas that will flourish in "web 2.0", is largely undiscovered. If you have any ideas, please, send them my way.

I continue to enjoy discovering what Google has learned about me. For example, yesterday, Google. did its own search to find ACC Football articles and it found a really good stock market site for me. It is up to me to do many more specific searches so that Google can repeat them in the future. It is simply wonderful to see that Google. has already done the work to find what I am interested in reading. I read the teasers more than the articles that it finds but often the teasers tell me exactly what I want to know about the subject at hand.

GO Google. GO! I WANT YOU TO MAKE $18 PER SHARE OR BETTER IN 2008. I THINK YOU CAN, I THINK YOU CAN, I THINK YOU CAN!

0 comments: