Monday, July 04, 2005

WSJ.com - Wal-Mart Raises Forecast For June Same-Store Sales

WSJ.com - Wal-Mart Raises Forecast For June Same-Store Sales

I AM NOT A SHOPPER!

With the exception of book stores and the occasional trip to a Best Buy or a Sam's Club, Marilyn has to drag me to shop. Friday evening late, Marilyn asked me to go with her to Wal-Mart. As one who tries to be a good husband, I was trapped. It was almost 10 o'clock, too late to expect my wife go out alone. I couldn't believe the crowd at Wal-Mart!

Granted it is the 4th of July weekend. Never-the-less, Thruway Shopping Center and Hanes Mall were closed up tight while Wal-Mart didn't have more than a few empty parking places. I looked at the high definition LCD TVs and noticed that the 26 inch Sanyo was $689. I happened to know that the 26 inch Sony at Best Buy is priced at $1079. The Sony is a good looking model but $400 discount on $1079 is big. I showed the set to Marilyn and she agreed it looked "cheap". On the other hand the Sanyo wireless surround sound system at $279 looked like a real bargain.

I didn't buy anything. My wife bought groceries. I watched a steady stream of full shopping carts rolling out the door. These were not filled with just groceries. The merchandise included everything from fishing gear to auto supplies. This one Wal-Mart must have been selling Dvds at better than 200 per hour.

Wal-Mart didn't grow so large so quickly without offering value. I am not a shopper but when I do buy something I feel "safe" in paying the Wal-Mart price. I understand the reasoning but despise the "discount" cards one must use at most grocery stores. My families properties at Myrtle Beach are located near a Wal-Mart. When it is necessary for me to buy anything from paint to apples, I go to Wal-Mart. There is a Kroger just as close and it is a bit easier for me to find groceries in Kroger but the knowledge that the price is better sends me to Wal-Mart.

The company announced improving sales. Buy Wal-Mart and forget you own it; 20 years from now you will retire with assets.

BUY THE BULL!
STOCKS ARE CHEAP RELATIVE TO BONDS AND REAL ESTATE.
SHORT TERM SENTIMENT INDICATORS ARE THAT THE MARKET WILL CONTINUE TO REST A WHILE.
THE LAST BIG RUN--THAT STARTED IN OCTOBER OF 2002--IS STILL BEING CONSOLIDATED.
THE NEXT BIG RUN SHOULD BEGIN SOON--AT LEAST BY NOVEMBER!

0 comments: